We can wrap anything from a small boat to an ocean liner and we have completed
projects in Palma, Mallorca Boat Yard, and Barcelona Boat Yard.
We hope that this page answers some of the questions you may have:
Why Shrink Wrap?
Simply, it protects your boat against the weather.
- Shrink-wrap shields your boat from the winter weather.
- Reduces your boat's maintenance costs and depreciation.
- Save time preparing your boat for the next season.
- Prevents dirt and moisture ingress.
- Protects vinyl from moisture (from snow & rain) and dry rot.
- Protects stationary electronics from moisture.
- It is also a great way to preserve and get a longer life span of your canvas.
- Shrink wrap protects against chafing that may occur from boats covered with tarps.
- It can also serve as a theft deterrent.
- It keeps people off your boat while in storage
- A shrink wrap door can also be supplied in the event you may need to enter your boat through out the winter season.
In addition, zipper doors provide access into your boat to do the work on your boat when you want - forget waiting for a weather window.
Without protection the adverse factors:
- Degrade your boat through dry rot, mildew, rust, and corrosive compounds.
- Reduce the effectiveness of your serviceman when conducting repairs, by limiting the hours they can work due to inclement
weather and poor lighting, increasing the environmental clothing they must wear.
- Increasing worker safety risk due to ice, darkness, wind, animal feces, blowing dust, sandblast debris, etc.
Who can shrink wrap?
Let us do it for you! Any experienced boat shrink wrapping company but it
is very important to verify their credentials and past work. We are happy to
share testimonials from some of our satisfied customers - please use our
enquiry form to contact us for more examples or
testimonials, and view more photographs here.
Where can shrink wrapping be done?
Virtually anywhere. Shrink wrapping can be done while the boat is on dry land or in the water, during cold or hot weather. It is not advisable to shrink wrap during windy,
moist days, however, framing can be assembled during those times.
How much should it cost?
The amount is relative to the design, environmental conditions, location of the work, personnel to be involved,
type of materials used. Each job is unique but consider all the costs associated with
not properly protecting your boat and weigh the difference. We are always happy
to provide an estimate.
How we shrink wrap your boat.
- Prepare the boat by padding or protecting
any railings, booms, sharp points, rough edges, etc.
- Design and build a frame over the deck of the boat. Depending upon the requirements and size of boat, the frame may be constructed of a variety of materials including
PVC pipe, steel pipe, lumber, and strapping.
- Create a perimeter belt around the ship with which to lock the film down.
- Cut and place the shrink film material over the frame.
- Anchor the shrink film edges.
- Seal the shrink film seams.
- Heat shrink the shrink film with hand held, gas propane heat guns.
- Install a custom passive, or active, ventilation system, and personnel and material access doors.
The materials used can include:
A single 7 or 8 mil, specially blended polyolefin (white). White is used to reduce heat and ultra-violet (UV) exposure and increase coverage longevity. Once the cover is installed, modifications can be made to meet later requirements. Want to keep the boat
covered for an additional year or two? That can be attained by fusing an additional layer of film to the existing layer. Want additional accesses and more ventilation? That can be easily done. Shrink wrapping works for any very
large and irregularly shaped object and is the most incredibly flexible preservation system.